Dentures are oral prosthetics that patients use to replace multiple missing teeth. They are made from a combination of acrylic and ceramic that mimic the gums and teeth, respectively. Since dentures are removable appliances, they can be taken off whenever you have to sleep, clean your mouth, or when you don’t need them.
Why should you choose dentures?
Patients walk into our dental practice with multiple missing teeth, which they could have lost due to oral diseases, external trauma, aging, or certain health conditions. When this happens, patients tend to feel less confident of themselves as they may feel embarrassed to socialize or smile with their missing teeth. Also, losing teeth affects their oral functionality. Hence, we recommend our patients get their missing teeth restored with dentures. Here are some of the amazing features of dentures:
- Dentures are the best option to replace a large number of missing teeth. Alternatives such as dental implants or bridges will not be the right solution in this case as the treatment can be complicated.
- Dentures are removable. You may take them off as and when required.
- You will be able to bite and chew food like you always did with your natural teeth when you start using dentures. Also, your phonetics will return to normal.
- Dentures are long-lasting. With optimum care, they can be used for several years together before being replaced. Sometimes, they may require a few adjustments to be made in terms of size and fit. The dentist can make these changes, and your dentures will be as good as new.
- When you lose several teeth, your facial shape usually changes as your cheeks and chin tend to appear shrunken and wrinkled. But, when you start using dentures, your cheeks and chin appear fuller. You may also look younger.
The dentist thoroughly diagnoses your oral condition and determines your candidacy for dentures. Based on the number of missing teeth, the dentist may suggest complete or partial dentures. A digital mold of your mouth will be taken to assess the size and shape of your jaw ridges. It will be used as a reference for fabricating dentures. Once the dentures are made in a dental laboratory, the dentist will schedule an appointment for you and hand over the dentures. The dentist also checks for the fit and comfort of the dentures, and if they are ill-fitting, fine adjustments will be made so that they fit perfectly in your mouth. A bite test will also be conducted.
Please schedule an appointment online or call us at (435) 645-8500 to have a consultation with Dr. Kimche, and we will be happy to help.