Dentures are known to be the best solution for replacing multiple missing teeth. They are made from a combination of ceramic and acrylic. Hence, they mimic the appearance of the teeth and the gums, respectively. Though dentures have a lot of advantages and restore oral functionality and aesthetics, the major disadvantage with them is that they tend to slip off the mouth when you talk or laugh. This can lead to an embarrassing situation if it happens when you're socializing with people. Hence, dentists have come up with an ingenious solution to this problem with the help of dental implants.
What are implant-retained dentures?
Conventional dentures have to be placed in the mouth over the jaw ridges. They tend to slip off or change their alignment as you use them. But, what if the dentures are supported to stay in a definite position using dental implants? Interesting, isn't it?
Implant-retained dentures are dental prosthetics mounted over four implants that are placed on the jaw ridges. The dentures have slots underneath them that allow the implants to slide into and get locked in place. This prevents the dentures from sliding or slipping off when you bite or chew food, talk, laugh, etc.
What are the advantages of implant-retained dentures?
- Since implants are placed on the jaw ridges, the jawbone stays healthy and intact. The chances of jawbone deterioration will be reduced significantly.
- The stability that the implants offer the dentures is excellent. You can carry on with your regular oral activities without having to worry about the dentures falling off.
- Implants placed in the mouth prevent any change in the shape of the jawbone, which in turn, prevents a change in the facial contour.
- The dentures are less bulky and compact.
- As opposed to getting dental implants or bridges to replace all your teeth, this method is a lot easier and cost-effective.
Please schedule an appointment online or call us at (435) 645-8500 to have a consultation with Dr. Kimche, and we will be happy to help.